Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Do you have a uniform?

In the past year, I've gone from uni student to being a little pregnant, heavily pregnant, newly a mama and now basically back to where I was beforehand. Well that's not entirely true - I am now a size up from where I was before but given it's my beautiful childbearing hips that have changed shape, and my lovely baby-feeding breasts that have also gotten in on the party, I'm not complaining!

So on the weekend I went to a clothes swap, where a lot of my size 10 tops and dresses went to a good home and my size 7.5 shoes to the same home, while I picked up a couple of tops, two dresses, some light pants, a singlet or two and some flat shoes. I got rid of two pairs of court shoes for a few other things, and a scarf or two I think. I feel that I got as good as I gave, which is important as it's all in my head - there's no measuring or transacting going on with this, just people contributing then taking.

Anyway, what I did notice in the clothes that I chose, is that I have a uniform. Something like, during Winter:
  • jeans and a fitted top and a vest
  • jeans and a dress
  • skirt, knee high socks, Mary Jane shoes and a top, with or without a vest
  • pants and v-neck sweater
  • skivvy and vest and long swishy skirt
Very preppy I guess, if I had to describe it. It makes shopping easy as I found the other day - I bought a vest to replace my outgrew from ones, and suddenly I had an entirely NEW wardrobe for winter. If I need a new pair of shoes, it's a pair of Mary Janes or sneakers. A new top - of a few colours (bright jewel colours), perhaps black or white at a pinch. It makes me life easy and I think I look good.

So what's your uniform?

3 comments:

Pyrrha said...

Jeans are the basis for my entire wardrobe. Dressed up jeans with a shirt for going out, or daggy jeans and runners for housework. Winter uniform is jeans, LST and a jumper/vest, with either runners, Blundstones or hiking boots. Autumn and Spring - same uniform, just with a t-shirt, and either sandals or thongs if it's warm enough. Summer is shorts/denim 3/4s with a t-shirt/singlet, and sandals/thongs.

Gosh, I'm soooo boring now that I write that out........

I bought some really cute mary-janes last year, but I've barely worn them. I have recently acquired a few summer skirts too, but I forget I own them and drag on the shorts every day instead. I don't own any dresses (other than formal) or winter skirts.

I see my 'style' as functional, and little more!

Unknown said...

When I was working full time I had a closet full of scrubs and pyjamas to change into after work--not much else. Does a stethoscope and a pocket full of alcohol wipes (with random vital signs written on them) count as accessories?

As I switched from full time nurse to full time mommy I gathered more and more jeans, jean skirts, t-shirts and zip front hooded sweatshirts.

I hate how I look in shorts (well, now that I have been running for a while that is changing) so in the summer I am in a denim skirt or capris, tank or t. Sandals on my feet. In the winter I am in jeans and a short or long-sleeved t-shirt with a zip front hoodie or knit cardigan. Ballet flats or snowboots replace the sandals.

If it can't be washed in the washing machine I don't own it.

Katrine said...

right now my uniform is blue jeans with leggings underneath to keep me warm or knee-length skirts with fun prints over thick black tights, layered thin wool jumpers, a scarf and usually ballet slipper type shoes that aren't warm enough but look pretty or my brown corduroy sneakers and lots of different coats for going outside.

for years I've been trying to add boots to my winter uniform but i just can't get my head around wearing something so BIG on my feet. I've even borrowed a pair from a friend to test them out and I'm slowly coming around but it's hard to break preconceived ideas about what looks good on me. :)

I often wish I didn't have a uniform ... but it makes getting dressed so much easier!

I love how the wraps work with your 'uniform' in your photos. They're a beautiful, practical addition.